This is my home roaster. Im about to build it into a moveable trolley, so its the bare bones in this picture.
- A breadmaker. I stripped it out of its case and control panel. I rewired it so the motor runs continuously when plugged into the mains. When I fit everything into the trolley, I will put a fused switch for it.
- A heatgun. Nothing fancy with 2 heat settings. They will burn out eventually so do not spend a lot. This is my second gun in 3 years.
- A digital thermometer. Can also be plugged into a computer for graphing the coffee roast.
- A digital timer for monitoring the heat rise and setting the hold between first and second crack.
- Ash can. My new invention. insert the nozzle of a vacuum cleaner into it and use the other hose for sucking out the beans from the bread pan. I then leave the vacuum running for 4 minutes and it extracts all the heat from the beans. Remove the lid, check the beans and bag directly from the container.
Breadmaker (mine was “borrowed” but anywhere from free to whatever you want to pay)
Heat gun: £8-£20. Mine are Ebay specials and £8 a time.
Digital thermometer: Between £10 and £35
Digital timer: £4
Ash Can: Under £19 delivered from Coopers.
I use the house vacuum but will probably buy a used small one for the job.
I use coffee beans from Rave Coffee